Re: [RC] rough trot - Chris Paus

Let him grow up. What''s the rush? He's just a baby. Do more ground work, teaching a smooth rhythmical trot on the lunge or long reins. Just ride at the walk until he's really well balanced with a rider.

I started my mare at almost 3 and rode her lightly for 10 to 15 minutes a couple times a week. She was under saddle for several months before I asked her to trot.

the other thing is to make very sure that the saddle fits absolutely well. The saddle's movement on the horse's back at the walk is very different from the movement at the trot. My mare kept flipping her head up and hollowing her back at the trot until I found a saddle that was wide enough for her. i was amazed at how her trot smoothed out with the correct saddle fit.

chris

Lori Greene <lorickg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone here have any ideas for a very ROUGH trotting quarter horse?  He's 2, and we're just starting, doing a lot of bending, circling to try to round him out.  But he's so rough you can hardly get yourself thru the excercise, any ideas????

Thanks much,
Lori

Kansas State Motto: Ad Astra Per Aspera.. to the stars through difficult....

BayRab Acres
Paola KS
913-731-5947
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus