RE: [RC] Fw: the old drop and spook - T. Rashid

I have to agree with Cindy’s comments on this not being Arab specific.

In fact the horse that did the fastest 180 I’ve ever ridden was a 16.1 hand New Zealand thoroughbred.  I found him *much* spookier on the trails that my Arab mare.  She is wonderful – she does a drop & slight sideways spook at walk or trot, and then the larger sideways spook in stride (sometimes with a flying lead change so she can change her bend to look at the spook object) at the canter.  I have never yet come off from a spook with her.  (Though once or twice it’s been a little close!)

The TB spooked at a horse eating fawn that was just around a corner.  Since he saw the fawn before me (that long neck) I only barely even realized what we were spinning from.  One instant I see fawn, the next we are facing the other way and cantering down the trail.  I of course pulled the horse up and made him go back the right way.  We did see the fawn again (and my horse spun again) but at least that time I was ready for it!

.Terri