[RC] Fw: the old drop and spook - Cynthia Eyler

I'm always amused when folks starting talking about the arab spin-and-spook, as though other breeds don't do it as well.  My QH can drop his front end, splaying his front legs and throwing me forward, and then spin 180 degrees -- all in a nano-second.  He  usually only goes a few yards after the spin before he starts looking for something to eat, realizing quickly that there's nothing trying to kill him.

He did this so many times, dumping me each time, that my left shoulder is pretty damaged.  BUT, he hasn't done it now for three years.  What's the difference?  Me.  I'm a better rider, with a much less forward-leaning position.  Perhaps he's stopped the drop-and-spin because he has more confidence in my riding and thus in my ability to take care of us.  Who knows?  He just doesn't do it anymore.  Occasionally, he'll still do a very half-hearted version, but not the big, lightening-fast move.  When he does this, he gets the big "Arrrggg."

Cindy