Re: [RC] endurance rider's - rides2far

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:26:51 -0500 "Jesse Watson" <lazarus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I am completely new to endurance riding and I am thinking of bringing a quarter horse I just acquired to an event.

I’ve had her out several times to train but I am having some trouble getting her to move at a decent pace (6 mph).

She either walks “dude ranch” slow or she trots.

Any idea’s on getting her to a decent race-pace?

Forget the word "race" think "ride" for now. Try riding with people who do distance riding, their horses should have good trots and your horse will try to figure out how to go with them...peer pressure and all. When you get to a ride, 99% of the horses will try to trot faster than they ever have and it probably won't be a problem there. It would be best if you got to train at that pace though. By the way, there's no law against a nice little canter  if that's a gait the horse is trained for. Switch leads occasionally.

Angie