RE: [RC] endurance rider's - Magers, Cassandra \(Contractor\)

 I compete with a quarter horse and basically I put him into his quarter horse shuffle(slow steady trot) which is about 6-7 mph and that is where he stays for the entire ride.  I also had to teach him not to ride with other horses. Most Arabs trot too fast for him then he gets stressed out.  He did a year in competitive learning to pace himself and get conditioned.  In Ld he has started doing some cantering (lymph-which is still slow compared to Arabians) but he is a much fitter horse.  Bottom line is a quarter horse will never go like an Arabian and they need to be ridden differently due to their mass and cooling issues.   I would suggest some competitive rides before heading to endurance.  My two cents.

Cassie

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jesse Watson
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 5:27 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] endurance rider's

I am completely new to endurance riding and I am thinking of bringing a quarter horse I just acquired to an event.

I’ve had her out several times to train but I am having some trouble getting her to move at a decent pace (6 mph).

She either walks “dude ranch” slow or she trots.

Any idea’s on getting her to a decent race-pace?

Jesse