[RC] Dumb TWH Question - apleg8'n

Why would you want a gaited horse to trot? That is my question. All of my
gaited horses...well most of them will trot in the pasture and trotting in a
round pen is easier because of the dynamics of a round pen. That is fine. I
like to see them trot at liberty to see the extention that they possess.
Never do I want to see one pace however. Not good.

But when I am on their backs they are NEVER allowed to trot. NEVER.  What
that trainer said in one post that a trotting gaited horse will gait better
is not true but rather if a TWH trots in the beginning as opposed to a pace
you will have greater success in getting that horse into the RW than you
will getting a pacing horse into proper gait ie, RW. A pacing horse is very
hard to get out of that gawd awful pace.

I just don't get the thinking of why on earth anyone that has the good sense
to own a lovely smooth moving gaited horse would ever ask it or let it
T-R-O-T for pete's sake.  Why not stick with a trotter?  The Running Walk is
by far the best gait that I have ridden. So smooth and collected and the
horse can do that gait all day long.

My horses have to do a variety of gaits in this sport to be competitive.
Flatwalk, RW, Rack and Canter. They use all their muscle groups. They get
their speed  up to 17+ mph in the Rack. Why would I want to go back to
riding a teeth jarring trot? Keep your Walking Horse in gait and enjoy the
ride.

Liken it to this.....A fine glass of aged Merlot to a cheap bottle of
Ripple.

amber
rackinfool
www.applegaitnendurancehorses.com