[RC] My Liberty Ride - Ed

I just came back from the Liberty ride at Ft Gordon, Ga (near Augusta). I am
sure some of you would like to know who won what in the 55's and 100 but I
don't really know. No one did all three 55's although there were several who
did all three 25's. The weather was typical Georgia and was hot and humid
although not quite as bad as it has been for this ride in the past. This was
our first ride since Big South Fork in early September of last year. Through
the winter we didn't get much riding done. I had not had many chances for
training since that last ride. I was bound and determined to go to Liberty
and do the 3 days of LD. We started conditioning the first of May and we
were able to ride about 10 times before going to the ride. The longest was
probably 16 miles. I was concerned about only doing this much and attempting
the 3 days but we were on our way. Day one Sawyer started off at a slow trot
despite all the folks taking off at a canter or fast trot. He didn't seem to
understand what was going on until about 4 miles when he began moving out.
We ended up 6th and 2nd BC! The 2nd day we started similarly. I thought he
was tired but after about 4 miles he started going again. We ended up 9th
and 3rd BC (my  weight helps in these BC standings!). The 3rd day he was
fired up to go! I had trouble holding him back at the start (he rarely does
that). We moved out the whole first loop. Starting the 2nd loop was a group
of 7 of us marking the 2nd through 9th places. We ran with that group the
first half of the last 10 miles. Then I could feel my guy tiring and his
style is for us to be alone on trail so he can change his pace frequently.
He then kept a good trot the rest of the way. We ended up 9th and won BC (by
a good margin - wasn't just my weight this time :)!). He looked so good at
the end as if he hadn't done a thing all weekend. I am really proud of this
turbo charged Morgan-Arab-Who knows what cross that he can get legged up in
3 weeks and go perform like this!

Ed Roley & Sawyer