[RC] Hard Guy - tom noll

Greetings:

Yesterday I went for a ride on trails in the Boise Front.  I rode with a friend and we both have special horses.  We both ride for a PNER team called the Outlaws and we have outlaw horses ? horses that Butch Cassidy would ride, or horses that you could trust with your life if you were in the sort of situation where you had to leave quickly and you had to go far and fast.  Both are 100-mile horses.  Both are in their middle-teens, and between the two of them they have more than a few top-ten finishes and more than their share of BCs too.  Both are modest horses who live to run trails.  We are both very lucky and we will never have horses like these two again, ever.  Some of you have horses like these two yourselves, and if you are like me, you are in awe of their athletic ability.

We rode the Hard Guy trail in the Boise Front.  Hard Guy is a special trail and if you are a runner, or a mountain biker, you know that there are more difficult trails and there are longer trails on the Boise Front, but if you want a good workout that can be run (barely) or ridden on a mountain bike (barely), Hard Guy is your trail.  If you have an endurance horse and you are looking for a nice sustained climb that can be run at a trot (barely), then Hard Guy is your trail too.

Yesterday we saddled up the two hard guys and they took us on up the trail.  Near the top we met two mountain bikers.  One of the bikers looked at my horse and said ?Arabian??  He had an eye for horses and we got to talking.  Eventually the conversation got around to how fit are those horses?  Well, we did not tell the whole story, but these two horses are fit, yesterday they were in their element, and they were working together passing off the lead and running together as a team.

There were no awards at the top.  Still for me, riding with a friend on two fit horses up a nice long sustained grade in the spring along the Boise Front is about as close to perfect as things will ever get.

Each region has its own ?Hard Guy? trail and if we are lucky we get to ride fit horses on those tough trails on days that we?ll never forget.  Yesterday was one of those days.
Best Regards,

Tom Noll
SW Idaho