Re: [RC] Hard Guy - Chris Paus

Cool story! I had an interesting training ride today in Kansas near Kansas city.

I hauled Ali, my 5YO greenie mare, up to the stable where a friend keeps her horses. It abuts a nice urban park with about 10 miles of trails. I figured it would be a good lesson for Ali to ride somewhere besides her stomping grounds and an urban setting at that.

We had a great time My friend was on a 22 YO Arab gelding, a Khemosabi grandson. What a grand old guy he is! At first he was a bit snobbish about Ali, but by the end of the ride, he figured she was OK. She proved her mettle, LOL.

Anyway, after creek crossings, wooded trail, a funky bridge, a lovely meadow, a bicycle path, hikers, bicyclists, and a dog walking park, we were headed down a rocky hill by a creek.

There were two little kids walking up a narrow parallel trail. We got just a little ways past them and I heard the little girl crying. It was a boy and girl, looked about 7 or 8 years old or so. I called to my friend who was ahead and told her the kids were crying, something was wrong. The little girl said they were lost. they had been at a family picnic, gone for a little walk and got lost. they were two pretty scared kids.

I noticed the little girl was wearing flip flops, not great foot attire on those trails. So we dismounted and put the kids on the horses. LJ knows that park well. She figured out where the kids needed to be. They were about 2 miles away from where they belonged and they were headed even further away when we saw them.

We got pretty close to the picnic area when we saw two women come down the path.. .two very relieved moms! I hope the kids didn't get a scolding. I hope they got hugs. They were scared. But now they'll have a great story to tell all their friends.

So on top of being great trail horses, Ali and Kheem were rescue horses too!

We finished the ride with no surprises. Ali did well with motorcycles and other scary stuff.

The only downside to the day was the TICKS. OMG, I must have pulled two dozen off Ali's legs and now I'm finding them on me!

chris

tom noll <tomnoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings:

Yesterday I went for a ride on trails in the Boise Front.  I rode with a friend and we