Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2005 7:53 PM
Subject: [RC] White hairs and saddle pad question

I ride a mule with wide, flat withers.  I try to keep the saddle back from the withers to allow her more shoulder motion. She came to me with scars on her withers from previous saddle problems.  Now she is getting white hairs where the stirrups come down from the tree.  There seems to be something there causing pressure through the fleece when I am standing in the stirrups or posting (and we do a lot of trotting).  She has not shown any tenderness in this area, or any place on her back, even on 25-30 mile rides.

I am using a Reinsman?s Tacky Too Pad.  While I am trying to figure out if I want a treeless saddle (and if so what kind) I am wondering if a different pad would help.  Thanks for your help!

Patsy