[RC] brand inspectors - Double 8 Ranch

When I moved here from the east coast many years ago I never heard of a brand inspection. Then, when I did hear of it I thought it was only for horses that were branded. After a year or two I realized that I needed this for my two mares that were transported here by a commercial hauler. I had all the health certificates and coggins as well as registration papers on one mare. I also had the paperwork from the commercial hauler with the sizeable bill in my name.

When I finally called the brand inspector to the ranch, he loudly proclaimed that none of that was good enough to prove that I owned these mares. He threatened to throw me in jail! He did 'go away' but I did not have my brand inspection.

 I then called another brand inspector in the area, showed him all the same paperwork and he kindly provided me with lifetime brand inspections on these two mares. WHEW. I ALWAYS use this second brand inspector when horses come and go from the ranch now. Many of them are on a big power trip and the sad part is, they DO have the power to make your life miserable.

The sick part of this is that here in Wyoming the stupid brand inspection papers describe the horse....sorta. i.e. one bay mare with star.......WOW, now how many bay mares with stars are there in the county, let alone the entire state! Or, one grey mare......yup, tells you a lot, don't it????

Needless to say, all my horses have brand inspections that I got from the second guy.

An interesting side note: back in the fall I was driving down the highway and here came two loose horses galloping down the road. Tractor trailers are whizzing by as well as traffic in general......speed limit is 65mph.  I pulled over and ushered the horses off the highway into someone's somewhat fenced in yard. The horses were all cranked up and I couldn't get near them at that time. No one else stopped to help me. I stayed with the horses for quite a while and then decided that I would not be able to catch them at this time. I hopped in my car and dashed home to my ranch (about 2 miles away) and kept my fingers crossed that the horses would stay where they were and graze. Made a quick call to the sheriff's office and rounded up my husband. Told him to bring a long rope so we could rope off the driveway leading to this house. The rest of the yard was fenced except for the driveway. Pretty soon along comes the BAD brand inspector dude. YIKES. He claimed that he knew all the horses in the area and he knew where these horses came from and that he would go to their house and get someone to come and pick them up. Well, after 45" to an hour, he still hadn't come back and we were just sitting there. (like we had nothing better to do). I then sent my husband home to hook up the horse trailer and I stayed and finally caught the horses.
I figured since the brand inspector and the cops knew I had the horses it would be easier and safer to just haul them to my place and when the owner discovered his missing horses he could just come and pick them up. Just as we were about to load the horses into the trailer the brand inspector reappears. He says "What are you doing?"
He told me that he could arrest me for rustling horses and furthermore that the owner of the horses could sue me if anything happened to the horses while in my custody!

Here I was trying to be a good samaritan.....saving the horses from a really ugly accident as well as any motorists and he yells at me for basically trying to do the right thing. He also told me to never call the sheriff's office for incidents like this but that HE had all the power in this situation. Fortunately, somehow the owner of the horses got word that they had escaped and he showed up with his trailer and took them home.
I got a polite "thank you" from him.

I know that if my animals (horses, dogs, etc) ever got into that kind of situation that I would want someone to step up to the plate and at least make an effort to try and do the right thing.

So, bottom line, there are 'good' brand inspectors and 'nasty, power hungry brand inspectors' out there. They DO have the power to make your life miserable. Even if you 'win' in the end, it could sure screw up your trip.

Lauren
Double 8 Ranch
Cody, WY