[RC] Certified Hay Was: Big Horn 100 - M . Paul Latiolais

I agree with Laney wrt horse hauling laws, although it is pretty annoying that the brand inspection wrt horses here in Oregon really does not accomplish anything outside of the meat market. The patrol officers know nothing about brand inspection in Oregon or Washington, Hence they are never checked. De facto, they are just a way to generate money for the Oregon Dept of Ag. I DO have mine, though.

As for CERTIFIED HAY. Oregon Equestrian Trials has been trying to work with the state of Oregon for years to set up a reasonable certified hay program. We are scared to death that they will put laws in place that will be impossible for us to comply with or would accomplish nothing but increased hassle.

The Forest Service has admitted that the biggest culprit in the spread of invasive weeds are ... Want to make a guess?... forest service vehicles, not horses or horse trailers. That's not to say that we could not do better at making sure invasive weeds do not get into trailer parking lots. e.g. like not feeding your horse hay on the side of the trailer.

For now the State of Oregon has abandoned the idea of a certified hay program. It is just too expensive in times of low state budget. Kind of interesting, since we are the world capitol for grass seed production. Hence we have the cleanest hay in the country, on average.

-Paul