[RC] TMJ Update - mjwest02

I was the one that had the mare with the TMJ.  She was power floated and had points eliminated and waves worked on (I have another appointment in 9 months for waves.)  My vet had me put her on BUTE for 10 days, and had told me that if she did not improve he could come back and "inject" cortizone or steroid (I really didn't listen past the point of "INJECT"!)

ANYWAY - Great news -  The TMJ has obviously been put to rest and/or a combination of teeth work - I now have a new horse.   I cannot believe her whole demeanor.  She is calmer, she will actually move her head toward me instead of holding it away - She stands still when grooming and will put her ears UP and FORWARD - an obvious change in that alone.

On the last day of giving bute, my barn called to tell me that she freaked over seeing someone with a ladder and tried to run into her stall - in the episode she slipped halfway in and fell, ended up shearing off mainly hide, but does have a dime size boo boo (along the stifle) and this is healing nicely considering.     I gave her the last dose of bute and watched for leg soreness, back soreness, etc. but she is a tough one and she is sound.   A few days after this incident I decided to try the Myler Bits that seem to be very user friendly.  I purchased the Comfort Snaffle.   The first day out with it, she seemed to respond very nicely - One week later and I have this NEW HORSE - attitude and willingness to listen.   I am sure it is a combination of things, mainly getting the teeth POWER floated and having a vet with mainly DENTAL expertise work on her.    I am holding off on the chiro - for now.

I am amazed at the 180 improvement - and I know she feels SO MUCH BETTER.  I sure wish I would have done the power float a year ago!

Mary and Shaker (a HAPPY "FEELIN' GOOD" horse!)