Re: [RC] Big Horn 100 - Truman Prevatt

Laney Humphrey wrote:

I consider it a courtesy on my part to obey the laws of the states I'm travelling in. After all, horse events, i.e., endurance rides, are held in almost every state and if too many people ignore laws meant to ensure the health and safety of horses, states might start making it harder to hold equine events there. Besides, the fine, if you're caught is usually pretty stiff, like $250 for Az/UT. I've never had a problem with hay. California is actually the pickiest state of all so you're most likely to have a problem coming home if you're going to have one.
Laney

Hay has been my biggest hassle and it was in AZ. Seems Texas has fire ants and AZ doesn't want them - not that they have a snowballs chance in hell of stopping them. They were checking everything coming through Texas in June of '96 when we went through. I didn't know if they were going to let me take it on or not. I broke up one bail for them and then managed to convience them to just stick their hands in between the bails in the front stall of the horse trailer instead of unloading it all.

I asked the woman if she had ever seen a fireant - only from the flyers from the state she said. I asked her if she had ever been bit by a fireant - she replied on. I assured her that if there were fireants in the hay in the horse trailer that the horses would have long kicked off the back and been lone gone. She must of believed it and let me go. As far as the horses, what horses - they could have cared less.

But you are correct Laney, the fines can be stiff. You can be turned around and denied entry or they can stop you call out a vet (at your expense) to check the horse. I've heard of this happening and the vet fee was over 200 dollars. In FL if you don't stop and show your papers, you will have a "black and white" on your tail. You will be stopped, your drivers license confiscated. You get it back by turning around and going back to the ag station you just passed and going through inspection. On the interstate that could involve going 10 miles down to trunaround, going back past the ag station (pulling in this time to check in with them - they will know about you), going another 10 miles or so, turning around and going back. That can add an hour or so to your trip. Best to have everything in order and stop the first time through.

The ag dept sometimes shows up at rides to check papers. Some states are more strict about it than others, but they all have laws on the books (coggines and health certificates and brand inspection in many western states) of some form or another.

Truman

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein