Re: [RC] Reply to Suicide Race - DVeritas

In a message dated 5/24/2005 6:10:31 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, kathleenmarie@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
We know our sport has strived to become safer over the years (CRI and fit to continue etc) but to an outsider it could still look like we are callous to our horses’ welfare by “pushing them to run 100 miles in a day”.
What sane and well-presented thoughts, Kathleen.

"Rites of Passage" certainly seem a bit more (culturally) important than winning a buckle.

I am no fan of rodeo, either, but I always wish the riders and animals well and hope for the best, though I still don't attend them (which is darned-near sacrilege where I live).

Same for the (so called) "Suicide Race" in Washington.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Kathleen.

Frank.