[RC] Malaysia: more on the ride - Stephanie Teeter

I'm spending a few days on Langkawi Island (an island off the northeast of
Malaysia, Thailand is visible across the water), the Tanjung Rhu Resort.
Absolutely Amazing. Thanks to Edaran Digital Systems Berhad (EDARAN) the
sponsor, and the EEC organizing committee, and to Dr. Nik who came up with the
idea to bring me to this foreign land in the first place. This is such a treat.
I'll post more on this place later. Plus I'll put all the ride stuff together
with some general observations and meandering thoughts - and all of the photos
I have (and photos from the OC too) - I don't have a full Internet connect
here, security firewall at the resort doesn't permit me to ftp directly to my
server - so that stuff will have to wait a few more days. Assuming I ever leave
this tropical paradise.... (horses?)

meanwhile - to carry on with the ride events ------

It's very very interesting starting an Endurance ride in the afternoon. The
horses were relaxed, everybody was relaxed. Just setting out for a nice trail
ride. I liked it, seemed sane, and a good way to start any competition -  much
less a demanding 160km ride when early conservation of energy pays off later in
the ride. Only 11 of us, and I started out at the back of the pack (partially
by design, partially because my horse wouldn't go under the starting banner :).

We started out along the pavement, nice clip clop start - then entered the palm
oil forest. Palm oil is a major industry here (as is petroleum - shipped
primarily to Japan). Malaysia also has a thriving IT and electronics industry,
plus they are an auto manufacturer - the Proton is a Malaysian auto, and their
newest car is the Gen2. A very ambitious nation for an island the size of New
Mexico...  It was glorious riding through the palm forest - really tall
towering palms, bare trunks stretching up high, lush green undergrowth. We rode
on the forest roads - felt very similar to our 'real' forest logging roads back
home - graded, with switchbacks, crossing a stream repeatedly, then rising back
up around another hill. Shady but very hot and still in these forests.

I caught up with two riders from Brunei - Pengiran  Hj Shariffuddin Pg Hj Bakar
and Pengiran Abdul Rahman Pg Apong - both riding leased horses from Sabih (on
the island of Borneo). Shariffudin is a full time endurance rider, that's all
he does, his wife is studying immunology in England (I think...) and he has
horses in France where he prefers to compete. The other fellow, Rahman, was
along as his support and pacer. We rode together off and on, passing each other
in various spots, they were riding very cautiously, hoping to save their horses
in the heat. I rode off and on with two other fellows, younger men, dressed in
jeans and stopping for a cigarette break every once in a while. I couldn't help
but be a mom - 'you really should quit'. And they couldn't help being kids.
Nice guys. One of their horses wasn't drinking at the stops, he was concerned
and spent extra time at the water stops. But in this heat, even at this pace a
horse that wasn't drinking from the start would have a tough time.

Azrheal was a trouper - he drank from everything, even the streams. Really nice
horse. As an anglo arab he might have a tougher time competing here, but he
really didn't seem to mind working in the heat. He was lean and his blood
vessels bulging. Plenty of forward energy and impulsion. At one point after
helping him (he was not too bright maybe) past a scary check point with
spotters and armed guards (security for the Royalty, for the Sheikhs, for all)
I put my hand on his shoulder to comfort him - skin hot to the touch. Amazing
animals to be able to perform such work.

I came upon Dr. Nik (Dr. Nik Isahak Abdullah) and his friend Burn (Bakar Bin
Man) as we were leaving the forest. We rode together for a while, past an old
tin quarry, the deep pits now filled in with water. Men fishing on the banks
and ditches. Past a 'farm' - brahma cattle and goats in small pens, wood and
tin shacks, chickens, barking  dogs. Poor people, but smiling and friendly, and
quite incredulous to see a white woman riding through there plot I think...

We left the estate and rode the outskirts of a village, machinery,
construction, more incredulous gazes. A welcome water stop along a street.
Azhreal gulped and gulped, I gave him some electroltyes. Good boy.  Back
towards the forest again, and passed by the ride venue at about 20km. Horses
happy to head back to the stable, only to be turned around again to head back
down the trail. More forest, hot and still, jungly bird sounds. Then dropped
down into another village. Some farmland, huge fields covered by nets, rows of
some sort of crop, I couldn't tell what it was. Along the village roads, many
many dark skinned people and children out to see the horses - laughing,
clapping, generally enjoying themselves. Dr. Nik said these are 'proto Malay'
people, the original Malaysian tribes. Small, dark, beautiful faces.

Back into the forest, waving at a few more smiling faces as we left the
village, and winding through the palms back into camp. Walked and trotted into
the vetting area, Azhreal was feeling good, strong and happy. Yus, the groom
that was helping me met us as we came in and took us to the cooling area. Nik
and Burn were there, Nik's horse Ms. Gedebe was taking longer than usual to
pulse down, Nik was a little worried. Lots and lots of water - scoops, hoses,
scrapers - they obviously have great respect for the cooling of the horses -
though the water felt warm to the touch to me. Not sure how much it was
helping, and little air for evaporative  cooling. (amazing horses). Azhreal
finally came down, when he dropped he dropped fast/boom down to 50. A little
more time to make sure and off to the vet.

I gave my pinney to Yus and he trotted him out for me. On pavement, nothing is
missed. I heard some unevenness as he trotted away, and coming back as he
slowed down there it was, defintely a head nod. damn. Obvious to me, obvious to
the vets - we're done. I hope it was nothing serious - it was really rocky
trail out there, he was padded, but his farrier said he had a stone bruise
about 6 months ago. Maybe still some soreness, maybe... who knows. Anyway I
didn't feel too terribly sad. I was wet and soggy (it really doesn't help to
pour water on yourself in hot/humid conditions - you don't get cooler - just
wetter - and stay wet). Starting to feel some rubbing on my tender white skin
from the wet clothes and tack (next time I'll bring talcum powder and keep
myself as dry as possible), so it's probably just as well that I pull now.
(these are the things we tell ourselves to ease the dissappointment :)

On the way back I saw Dr. Nik - he said 'we're out' - Ms. Gedebe is lame. A
hind end lameness, maybe muscle cramp, unexpected - but he said 'this probably
explains why she took longer to pulse down'. More dissappointment. Three of us
pulled at this first hold, and watched as the other riders hooked up their
headlamps and headed back out. It was around an hour before dark, they would
soon lose their light. The moon (almost full) had risen, but I suspected that
in the dark forest not much moonlight would penetrate. True, they would rely
solely on their headlamps, and on their motorcycle guides.

After the rest of the riders left, I took a (cold) shower at the stable, and
joined Dinah and the officials for a while. Not many riders, lots of miles to
go, lots of waiting. There were two officials from Down Under - Denise Trollope
from Australia, head of the Ground Jury, and Tony Parsons DVM from New Zealand,
foreign vet delegate. Nice folks. First time in Malaysia for Densie, Tony had
been here before, liked it. I invited him out to Idaho to vet a ride sometime,
ya never know!

I started feeling cold, cool damp night air, fans going all the time from the
tent roofs, a little fatigue, hungry. Finally got a ride (Amran our wonderful
driver) back to the hotel around 12:30 - hated to abandon Dinah... but she was
cheerful, and 'I'm here to work!'.
Hot shower, and cool sheets, slept well but I was still, in spirit, on the
trail, trotting along in the dark.

Steph