Re: [RC] bad accident - Susan, Princess of Pink

I think time will tell the tale, Mary.  No one can say for sure right now what you can expect.  I am so sorry this has happened to both of you.

I was in a race and trotting down the side of the highway.  Somehow, Nergie stepped in a tin whistle and severed his rear digital flexor tendon.  (RM looked and looked and never found where the accident happened.)  Dr. Dane Frazier sewed the tendon back together and sewed his leg up.  I realize your horse is now missing a tendon.  Won't the tendon repair itself and grow back together?

Like Jack, Nergie was in a cast for several months and stall rest for 6 months.  The leg healed and we finished in the top 5 at the IAHA Region 9 championship (1994).  It is my prayer that Jack can and will make a full recovery.  There IS hope!

mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Has anyone’s horse experienced an injury like this?  I know he will never be my endurance horse again, but what are his chances of living a comfortable life.  Is it cruel or in his best interests to do this stall rest?  I don’t want to prolong any suffering for him but if this is a curable injury, he deserves a good life.

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)