[RC] Arab behavior - Barbara McCrary

The following is a portion of an e-mail I wrote to a friend who used to be the ranger at RDO (Rancho del Oso) State Park.  The length of the trail was about 6 miles and we rode to the end and return, so 12 miles total.  It was an interesting experience for me, as I had no idea that Banner would be as cool as he was.  We met and talked to about 127 total people last Sunday....everyone was out in the park, afoot, horseback, or on bicycles....lots of bicycles.  We patrol in state park uniform and do a lot of interacting.  We speak pleasantly, greet everyone, answer questions (historical, geographical or biological), and generally "make a presence."  We've been doing this for over 20 years.  Our group is about 25 riders.
Banner is 9 this year and I've had him for three of those nine years.  He was suspicious, timid, fearful, and elusive when I first bought him, sight unseen via the Internet and a homemade video.  It took nine months for him to look me straight in the eye and accept me.  We've been buddies ever since.  He's extremely intelligent and I've learned more from him than any horse I've ever had in my life.
We've done only two 50 milers so far, but he has huge potential.  He has, so far, arrived at vet checks completely recovered, and has finished moderately well with no evidence of being remotely tired.  He hasn't the smoothest trot, but his lope is lovely.  He does spook, sometimes suddenly enough to unbalance me.  I went off only once in three years.  He's developed a very fast walk and powers uphill at a running walk.  I don't do enough trotting on him, primarily because he does spook.  If I'm behind my husband on his horse, the spooks are much diminished and the trot smoother.
(Steve and Janet are my son-in-law and daughter.)
My main reason for sharing this story is my complete amazement at Banner's calm acceptance of situations that really should scare a horse.  But then again, he can be such a goof-off and spook at shadows on the trail.  Go figure!

"We did a patrol of the park at RDO on Sunday afternoon
My horse Banner, who is known for his spooks, was wonderful going up the
canyon.  On the bypass trail, built to circumvent the washed-out road,
Banner was perfect.  Here we were, on a single-track trail on a steep
mountainside (my worst nightmare), and we met numerous people pushing
bicycles along the trail.  Two of the bikes had tag-alongs and little kids.
If Banner was going to freak, that would have been the place to do it.  He
was a perfect gentleman, quiet, and easy to sidepass against the bank while
the folks pushed their bikes past him.  Banner appears to have no fear of
bikes or motorcycles.  At one point, a young man rode his bike past us on
our right, no warning.....just there he was, quite suddenly.  Banner wasn't
concerned, but the guy surely startled me.  I spoke to him about the dangers
of not warning a horse upon coming up behind it.  I told him he might have
been kicked by some horses.  I was proud of Banner.  We rode all the way up
to the end where the last bridge is washed out and we had to turn around.
Coming back, and especially getting closer to the RDO HQs, Banner was a
silly jerk.....spooked at everything.  I told Steve (Steve and Janet each
have a gelding that is a 1/2 brother to Banner) about this, and Steve said
'too much gas left in his tank.'  I'm inclined to agree.  I have yet to see
Banner tired, even after a 50-miler."

Just another story about Arab disposition, since we've been discussing this at length on ride camp now and then.

Barbara