RE: [RC] The Great American Horse Race - Tom Sites

Hello Jody,  You had me laughing so loud it could have woke up the dead.  As Michael Jackson and i both know...Peter Pan is just a good story and we both ain't he, and there's a big difference between us when we were in our 20's and we in our 50's, and how some of those folks could do what they did in their 70's will always amaze me.

It was Larry Lewis who you got the book from, and he came to sell T-shirts and stuff and when the Race organizers failed to deliver as advertized he and the Kansas Ski Team took over marking Trails and feeding poor folk like me when we either didn't feel like cooking or had nothing better to eat than peanut butter sandwiches.  Larry will always be in my gratitude for feeding me when i was hungry, and that i will never forget.

There are so many stories...and did you know that Sam 'trained' Dude for Endurance by using him as a plow horse?  And there was one character named Roe Bailey who brought an unbroke horse who said he could be trained in the Race?  Well he didn't, but Roe was one heck of a poker player.  Do you know how to reach Sam?

There is a web-site under construction and we have tried to locate people and the GAHR folks aren't very talkative or else they have traveled to the land where Peter Pan is real. We tried a chat and either people didn't respond or else the stories could not be printed because it seemed it offended someone.   I have the Trail to Winnemucca, Nevada and the mileage of each day, but  trailered to Reno shortly after that because of a case of severe scratches and stayed w/ Cliff Lewis and doctored Jose for his ride into California, which was more important to me than placing.

Thanks for making this rainy day (which we need) a fond and lasting remembrance of Grand Adventure,
tom sites GAHR # 77