[RC] The Great American Horse Race - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Hi All,

After cleaning out my horse trailer for the ride this coming next weekend, I found a book that was given to me 2 years ago in Missouri.  We were at the Pineville Turkey Trot ride and there was a man there (don't remember his name) and somehow the Great American Horse Race topic came up.  Turns out that he was one of the organizers of the ride.  He had a book that he gave me, this was a photographic documentary, it also has some background and info about things that happened along the way. And boy, was there a lot of interesting stuff that happened.  I had told him that when I was a little kid (about 11) my mother, father and myself had driven up to Hannibal, MO to meet the race and see our friend from Alabama riding.  His name was Sam Garner, and he ended up finishing in the top ten with his horse Dude.  Anyway, the point is, this is a very neat book, has some great pictures of the ride, the people were certainly....different from what we have now.  This looked like it was a huge, moving horse party!!!  I realize that nothing like that will probably ever happen again, but I would bet it was sure a blast to those invovled.  Something that would be a trip of a lifetime.  I am just glad that I got to have my own little part of it, by meeting them in Missouri.  And Tom, there is a picture of you with the key to the city around your neck....you looked a lot younger then.  :))

Jody and the girls