[RC] AHA - Donna Coss

Again, what does it matter what happened BEFORE DNA or bloodtesting? Its like saying someone who is caucasian cannot claim they are pure IF their ancesters lived in the south during slavery!

#1 importance, is whatever the South American horses were that were exported from Europe--you can bet that they were very solid, well bred individuals, or who would pay the money to have them exported!! Its not like they were mongrels off the street!

#2. When I was in Hungary, traveling with someone who spoke many languages, the subject of purity became a topic of conversation. We were visiting Babolna State stud farm, which has many Shagya horses, as well as purebred Arabians. One very elderly gentleman, stated in Hungarian, that he worked at Arabian farms in Egypt and before WWII, when racing became important, "boat loads of Thoroughbreds were coming in from England"! And guess what many of the stallions were bred to? Purebred Arabian mares!! And, of course, many of these offspring were conveniently registered "purebred" Arabian, of course!

3. The same thing happened when the Russians stole horses and took them back to Poland, Rumania etc. Many times the Hungarians and Austrians gave them registration papers that were not legitimate. They didn't care to cooperate--they were losing their best horses!!

4. Would it not be wise to select bloodstock that meets the conformation and performance standards you as an individual desire and forget about the fact that 20-25 generations back something occurred that we would not condone today? Otherwise it seems like a futile attempt to define "*purity"!*

--
www.shagyasport.com