[RC] HiTie/corral panels - DreamWeaver

Hi Nancy:

Don't make your choice based on what is most economical. That doesn't work with horses, especially endurance horses. ;)

Whatever you do decide on, make sure that you train your horse(s) to go in them ahead of time. I think a lot of people take horses to rides that don't know how to tie, or they put them in corral panels and the horses tear them apart and get loose, often dragging part or all of the panels with them thru camp. There are pluses and minuses to each type of containment system. Some things to consider:

Everybody elses horses. If you use hotwire, for example, you have to be careful to set up so loose horses can't run thru it easily. If you use a hi-tie or similar product, what will your horse do when (not if, but when) he becomes tangled in his rope. Training ahead of time (hobbling, tying overnight to train,etc.) can help with that. People put horses on ties (of any type) that really aren't trained to 'tie'. They break loose, or get tangled up. Or they learn to pull, and some of the ties are quite noisy.

People put horses in corral panels that have no respect for fencing, and push and/or shove the panels around. They also know how to lift the panels up to get them loose, or they roll and get caught that way. Or they put them up over a grassy area, and as soon as the horses graze that area down, they start reaching for the green stuff 'on the other side of the fence'. If you put more than one horse in a corral panel system, unless you have a 24 hour monitor watching them you have no way of knowing how much each horse has drank, eaten, peed, and pooped. I really think that paying attention to those things for each horse on an individual basis is extremely important. More important than any benefit they or you will gain by having them together. I think that panels that are attached to one or both sides of the trailer are safer than free standing ones (so says my truck, trailer, and horse...see below) :P

People put horses in hot-wire fencing, without realizing that the horses are insulated from being zapped when they have a blanket put on. This results in wrecks all the time. They also need to consider what will happen when other horses come galloping thru camp in the dark and run thru it. I've seen that happen several times, but not as often as I've seen blanketed horses walk right thru the fence tape.

At the last ride, we had multiple horses galloping on pavement around camp. This was right next to a highway. It is really pure luck that no horses or people got killed. I and a friend were waken up at 4 a.m. by the sound of galloping (on pavement) horses heading towards our rigs. The horses ran right thru or next to all of our horses on their ties and kept going. Then turned around and came back. I am sure that had any of us had panels or electric tape up that it would have resulted in an even larger multi-horse incident with injuries. We got up out of bed and spent a half an hour chasing two of the loose horses, the third one we never saw again (it obviously made it back on it's own). The two loose horses didn't even have halters on. They didn't want to be caught, luckily one did like the bucket of grain I rounded up, and was able to neck rope him and get a halter on, as he wouldn't be haltered directly either. Once caught, we couldn't tie either of the horses either, because they wouldn't tie. So we had to roam around a large camp area (and were still the only ones up) to find where they belonged. They belonged obviously to a large open corral panel setup, with no horses inside. I woke the owner who argued that it wasn't his horses, as his were right there next to his trailer in their corral. yeah, right, and I am up chasing these horses around because I felt I was getting too much sleep, and wanted to run around in the rain and get wet and cold. ;^)

A couple of rides before this one, my friends next door had their horses in panels. One of the horses put both hind legs thru the panels. These are the ones with square grids, made out of aluminum. The wreckage that ensued was amazing, and a miracle that the horse wasn't injured any worse than he was. I've heard of at least two other accidents this year with those same types of panels -- the horses get a foot or leg thru one of those squares, and can't get it out. The aluminum crumbles up like foil, and the panels are all velcro'd together so the entire system becomes one big wreck.

....and then there was the corral panel accident last year where the neighbors horse wrapped the entire corral panel system around my truck and trailer. That horse was pretty beat up, and so was my trailer and all of my chairs, tables, mat, trailer ramp and my horse was freaked out pretty good too, he almost got crushed in the mess.

I have a page comparing the differing tie systems: http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/horse/ties.html Maybe somebody could do one on corral panels. It won't be me though, I definitely do not recommend them for anybody, not even my own horses. They obviously do work well for some people. Hopefully we won't now have to hear every single one of them telling us so ;)

Karen
in NV