[RC] Went to Pete Ramey Clinic... research info - L gin

I don't spend 250$ lightly. But after the 12 hours Sat. and 11 hours Sunday I think as an owner, beginning I got my moneys worth. I reccomend it --just from an educational standpoint. We had classroom lecture with slides and he had mustang feet,(he had just been to a range and found a horse that had died in a cattle gate and have the feet (gross, cause the oil on them was sticky) and had slice them in half. and showed what the horses were running on terreain wise. . Then we discussed some research, mistakes, showed some slides of horses with problems and how thay resolved. The second day he trimmed some horses people brought who had problems --and some that were intentionally "let go" and discussed them. There was also added the problems of feed, and the way horses are kept (which I already knew from Ridecamp ;0) There was also a set of bones with a pulley set up to show how the leg loaded ..... where the bones were (I want those bones). There was research discussion. There was a vet there learning, a vet student, 6 trimmers, and the rest were owners looking to learn..

My goal has been to try and understand the foot, and care of it. Many things I have read are "conflicting"-- and my impression is that the horse industry still neeeds to do alot of research.....Just my thoughts...
Anyway news you can use--- he had epics and boas with him. He uses them for owners to put on during the transition wo they don't have to wait for the horses to be able to ride them. He showed how to pad the boa. He had a new material for pads in the the boas to help the sole transition to wieght from the boot makers he is testing. Very dense open cell foam , it looked like.
He says you can use neophrene saddle pads and cut them up. But they wear out sooner than this material. He also fitted a horse there in boots,who had lots of problems, in his 20's, had only about 1/16th of an inch of sole, and it was peeling up. This horse was body conditon 10...... He also brought up grazing muzzles, this horse really needed one.
He said in 2 months there was going to be a new improved Epic.....Hold on for it......
Main complaints were by eventers that they were slippery on grass. They didn't seem to know about the studs available, but to be honest I couldn't recall is they were for snow or grass....
Also he says Michaigan State Queensland are doing research about to publish - what goes on with Laminitus and foundering. Inducing founder by tubing horses with wheat flour and water , I believe , then putting them down at intervals to see what is happening..
!st thing increase in MMP enzymes-which severly wound or destroy the BM membrane.This can be regrown, but must be produced at the coronary. You will have weaness top to bottom till you grow it out. But the rest you need to go find on the Michigan stae website/ as I didnt' get it all in my notes..
With Navicular Syndrome they thought it was thru a disease proces. But some horses showed pain without it and some with damgae didn't show pain. Old way was to wedge up and up to give releif of symptoms an dhorses felt better, but you had to go higher ande higher till no where to go and horse was 'done for'. The lifteed heels reduced the tension of the deep flexor tndon stateically. But not when moving. He mentioned Dr. Rooney who is not 'user friendly " research, back in 74', but now Michigan state is doing it. The post mortems Dr. Rooney saw were damage to the Navicular and deep flexor tendon, or the deep flzor tendon alone,--but not the navicular alone. The first symptom was yellowinf of fiber cartiladge, which is excess friction, = excess force. Which comnes from Toe first landing, bacause the heel is sore. Michigan state saw 40-60% loss to coffin bone BEFORE the bone loss in the Navicular. --- Peripheal loading, Toe first landing, lack of sole pressure. Durign toe first landing the Navicular bone lamas backwards... the bone ties to repair with ossifiactions or spurs, the see spurs in the coffin bone 1st. So incorrect movement messes up the navicular. Some changes are permanent, some are not. or can be helped. It is all about how the hrose moves , not how he stands on concrete.
Other inof. Dr. Bowker (Michigan state?) found 40-60% of the wall mass comes from the lamina, not just the coronary band as once thought. Average domestic hrse has about 550 lamnia, but they found many split and branch(goes into more depth) --but basically this is responese to damage.
Wild horses even old ones haveonly about 400lamina, not splitting and branching..
Also found that the the sole, and frog are necessary to support the foot, not just the wall.
The digital cushion in many horses is not developed like a wild horse--lack of movement----most likely. The digital cushion may only be about .10 inch thick ..what a foal has to support him, whereas a wild horse has maybe 1' thick didgital cushion. This is not happening in domestic horses.Rear may have good cushion, but not the fronts. Foals need to be moving.As do young horses. Need frog, sole pressure to build digital cushion. Shortstriding, toe first landing will not build this.
Then info on bulbs, how to tell if they are helaty, should be fiberous and strong. Can tell how strong digital cushion may be by feeling the bulbs...
Recommended websites:Michigan state s , Queenslands(?) and www. safergrass.corg, www.hoofrehab.com, The Lame Horse,Dr. Rooney, www.aanhcp.org,

Main points for triming. I learned "never cut live sole",the missing link is the bevel",The collateral grooves are your guide".... He has also updated his book, says he was wishy washy in a few things, on his website articles. And proper feed management is essential to hoof care.
Oh and get rid of flares, they cause pain and there is wall seperation there.....