Re: [RC] Sarcoids and Xterra - Karen Ellis

Title: Sarcoids and Xterra
My old grey gelding also had a sarcoid in his elbow area that was removed several times but each time grew back faster.  My vet also tried cryotherapy.  I read about xxterra and my vet got it for me.  It was a tiny pot for $70 Cdn.  It has to be done for four days in a row.  This was a large, golfball size tumour that was red and shiny and the flies drove him crazy.

The first day he didn't react for a while.  Day 2 he wouldn't let me near him.  It was obviously very painful.  It was very difficult for me to get it on him for four days, but I did and he went crazy.  It bubbled up and looked disgusting.  Then it sloughed off and was like burned meat hanging off his elbow.   I took a photo as it was fascinating.  The tumour did return eventually.  Now it is larger than ever and has  spread to several different areas.  He still loves to go for a ride and at 29, he's not doing too much obviously.

I would say that it is the answer for a small tumour.  I wish I had used it instead of having it surgically removed in the first place, which I think caused it to grow more rapidly.  He also had other sarcoids surgically removed that never grew back.

Karen