Re: [RC] Sarcoids and Xterra - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

had a grey pinto gelding with sarcoids in his left armpit.? They did not
affect his gait and tack didn?t interfere with them so I left them alone.?
Then after his shots one year they began to grow rapidly and spread.

This is the second person I have seen who suggested that the shots might lower
the horses immunity and increase the spread of sarcoids. My new horse has
already had a sarcoid removed and I noticed some abnormal looking skin in  his
ear. So...what do I do about his shots? Does it help to spread them out and
give each thing individually?

Angie?
--- Begin Message ---
Title: Sarcoids and Xterra

I had a grey pinto gelding with sarcoids in his left armpit They did not affect his gait and tack didnt interfere with them so I left them alone.  Then after his shots one year they began to grow rapidly and spread.  The sarcoids had been removed surgically before I purchased him but  they grew back.  My vet had me try xterra.  It worked great!  Not only did the sarcoids I treated go away but some that were not treated also receded and disappeared.  The skin where the sarcoids had been became soft and pliant, looking and feeling like normal skin and some hair grew into the scar from the previous surgery.  He is still sarcoid free after 4 years.  Be sure to do the treatments when you dont want to ride your horse.  My horse acted like he felt poorly during the treatment.  He ran a low grade fever and moped around.  It is my understanding that the xterra sets up an immune system response so the horses own system attacks the sarcoids (or the agent causing them).  My experience would support thathe acted like he felt ill for about a week.  The treatment is 3-4 days in a row.

Kathleen

--- End Message ---