Re: [RC] Cardiovascular Conditioning - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Kim kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Does the horse always have bad CRI's or is this the first you noticed?

When I do conditioning rides not always but most of the time I will do a CRI on
him. From the time I return back from the trot out I watch my HRM and it
usually takes about 1-2 minutes for him to come back down.

Was the lameness the cause or was it a recovery issue? How fast does your
horse recover at a check, 2 minutes, 5 minuted, 15 minutes, etc?

Looking back now I think the lameness may have been the cause of the high CRI.
In the past my horse has taken anywhere between 5-7 minutes to recover. On Sat.
at the first vet check it took him 1min 52sec to recover to 48. I then took him
over to the vet and when the vet did the CRI on him he was at 56/68, after 2
minutes of standing he came back down to 52. The vet did say he was slightly
off (intermittent), so we took it pretty easy coming into lunch. At the lunch
stop his CRI when vet took it was 60/68. She held my card and told me to come
back about 10 minutes before I was suppose to leave and recheck him. He was at
60/76 then, after the recheck his lameness was definitely noticeable. I guess
w/ him just standing around made it worse. Today when I was out there I trotted
him out and saw absolutely nothing.

How old is the horse and how many miles does he have? Being or not being an
Arab probably has little to do with it.

This horse is 13 and has about 410 miles on him. I started endurance on him
when he was 6 I believe. There were a few years where we would skip a year of
endurance then the next year do a few rides. Knowing what my horse has done in
past years he has progressively gotten stronger and his P/R?s have improved
over the years too.

Kim