Re: [RC] Cardiovascular Conditioning - Truman Prevatt

Does the horse always have bad CRI's or is this the first you noticed? Was the lameness the cause or was it a recovery issue? How fast does your horse recover at a check, 2 minutes, 5 minuted, 15 minutes, etc?

How old is the horse and how many miles does he have? Being or not being an Arab probably has little to do with it. I used to ride a walking horse that had better recoveries (and CRI) than many Arabs.

If it wasn't the impending lameness and the horse has the base for it - some interval training will help. Here is where the HRM is needed and check the archives since this has seen discussed many times.

Truman

Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Please Reply to: Kim kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This past weekend I was at a ride and ended up getting pulled due to my horse coming up lame. Anyways, the vets were doing CRI's on the horses and my horse has terrible CRI's (he's not an Arab). I was told by the vet when I condition I need to do more cardiovascular conditioning. Basically what does this mean? Do I need to do more trotting/cantering on hills, etc. At the lunch stop (this is where I was pulled) I came in, in 11th place. From the 1st vet check to lunch we basically took it easy, some walking, and a good pace trot. Because my horse is not an Arab she suggested I pull him out of pasture and do a CRI on him from resting and check it.

THanks
Kim