[RC] One Awesome horse - OTTOWY

Windmere finished his last 100 at 27.  He probably could have done another one
but I moved to Utah and wasn't able to take him with me.

We rode six days a week, 4 - 7 miles a day and sometimes 25 miles on Saturday.
He was incredible.  Never went lame, never got windpuffs, bowed tendons or
anything.  He moved like glass and had over 3000 miles when he retired.

He was a skinny Arabian with heart.  The first time my parents saw him he had
fallen over a cliff and was hanging by his halter.  The "Owner" said, "If he
can get himself over the cliff, he can get himself up."  Needless to say we
calmly told the owner that if we were going to purchase the horse we needed to
see him.  He said we better get started pulling him up the cliff then.

After about an hour my parents coaxed him up the cliff and took a good took at
him.  Nothing but skin and bones, worms, deep set eyes, winter coat still on in
May and a look of desperation.  Nothing, absolutely nothing to look at, I have
seen "meaters" look better than him.

We went to the motel that night and tried to talk ourselves out of it but just
couldn't.  We went back the next day willing to pay $300 for him. We found the
horse again over the cliff and this time the owner had a gun and was aiming it
over the cliff at the  horse.  I'm sure he had taken a few shots before we got
there but had missed.  He was tired of dealing with this ***** horse.

We were shocked and told the man we would take the horse.  He calmly said the
price was now $500 and readied another shot. Needless to say we paid $500 and
took the lowly creature home.

The horse never stepped out of line and every vet that ever heard his heart
said it was damaged by worms and it wasn't worth our time. HA!  They were
wrong.  He lead the Big Horn 100 every year he rode it.  He completed rides all
over the country and was never out of the Top Ten, EVER!  He won Best condition
on every ride he ever entered.  He could drop like a stone on a vet check.

I still cry because I have never ridden a better horse than Windmere and have
ridden over 30 horses since.  No other horse has his drive or love for me that
this horse had.

You never know where you are going to find that perfect horse, maybe hanging
over a cliff.  But, you will know when you find him!