Re: [RC] so what, after all those years and all those finish lines,made the difference? - Tina Hicks

LTYearwood@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Everyone,

incredibly well in race after race after race, I would love to know: What do you
attribute --  in terms of your own horsekeeping skills  --  at least some of
your success to in endurance?

I'm not talking luck or "good genes" or the fact that your horse  was truly
one-of-a-kind.

But that's kind of the point I think - these horses that did back to back races (not rides, races <g>) were/are truly one-of-a-kind. Didn't really matter whether they had perfect conditioning, feed, electrolytes (I bet many of them had little/none).

Jerilynn Gray (now Huffman I think) rode a morgan called Lain. Joe would know since he sponsored her for many miles but I think Lain had somewhere around 8000 miles - and they weren't slow miles either being sponsored by Joe and Khalil :) She lives not too far from me and I talked to her once several years ago about Lain. The horse's day off was on Sunday - on the way home from the ride. He was ridden - lots and hard - the other 6 days. No special saddle, shoes, no HRM. Back to back to back to back *fast* rides where Lain was in the Top Ten consistently. Certainly not what riders today would recommend or do I bet :) 99 other horses would have gone lame, worn out, etc...but Lain didn't.

Why? I can tell you it wasn't due to a supplement or extra hours of turnout or a certain feed :) If that were the case then every horse Val rode would be a Cash or every horse Becky Hart rode would be a Rio but they aren't.

I think a lot of it is luck in that a horse who has that special ability is paired with the right rider at the right time. When it all comes together then you get Cash, Rio, Khalil, Lain, etc....If I had owned Cash or Rio or Lain, I'm sure none of you would have ever heard of them :)

-Tina