Re: [RC] Time off before 100's - gary affleck

YMMV, (you mileage may vary).  Usually 1 day per 10 miles of racing.  But your horse may need more or less.  Probably should at least walk them around some so as to help with sore muscles.  Just like humans, stretch those muscles.  Just remember a race does not build up a horse or rider, it breaks you down.  Rest brings you back, better and stronger.  Just like working out in a gym.  You lift weights, it tears you muscles down, rest and they heal stronger and bigger.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Time off before 100's

Kathy asked:

"maybe 2 or 3 weeks, prior to a 100 mile ride, and then 2-4 weeks off after as well. Can anyone with years of experience with 100's, tell me if this usually complete time off, with only pasture turn-out, or, are the horses usually still ridden lightly."

2-4 after the 100 is easy--absolutely a good idea, so long as there is adequate turnout.  I wait until my horse "asks" to go out on trail again.