Re: [RC] Stats on 100s - rides2far

IMO the AERC BOD would be better off spending it time trying to
figure > out how to provide an incentive - to replace the ROC - for the

average > member to want to pursue 100's - thereby creating a demand -
rather
than > defining a "metal" which will create virtually no demand.

I think the ROC had its day, but it's gone. That's why the National
Championship hasn't caught on. The ROC was where you went to find out if
you were the best of the best. With the advent of the Pan Ams & WEC
competitions, the best of the best are at the Pan Ams or WEC, not at the
NC. If it's handy they may go to the NC,  but it's not where you go to
earn a name for having beat the best in the country any more. That ain't
coming back. Look at the names of the top 10 riders at the ROC...You knew
the people, you knew the horses and to see them all in one place at one
time was something.  THAT SAID...some VERY fast horses may turn up at the
NC who could actually beat the name horses with proven records *on that
day* but it doesn't mean much if they beat horses with no reputation. A
horse almost has to prove he deserves a win and it isn't luck before he
even gets in to the Pan Ams or certainly the WEC. I have just about come
to the opinion that we should use points to decide regional awards, and
have a panel that chooses "Horse of the Year". Those top horses are going
to meet each other at the Pan Ams & WEC. Those are the level horses that
used to win the points championships. A regional champion from one year
may very well be the horse that goes for the Pan Ams or WEC the next year
and proves he's the best of all. It's not two different groups, it's one
group that's at different stages in their careers.

Personally, I don't think it was the ROC itself that increased the number
of 100's riders did, it was the fact that to qualify for it was a test in
itself. You can see by the numbers that simply having a horse that had
done enough 100's to qualify was status. I think many went just so
everyone would know they'd qualified or to ride be at the place where the
best from the entire country settled who was *the* best.  I certainly
don't know how you can claim there's "virtually no demand" for a medal
system. I have people writing me privately that say they've been shooting
for an imaginary medal ever since we discussed it the first time. It was
a goal, and some people like to have a goal. If they don't want to do
FEI, what goal do we have that requires 100's other than top 100 mile
horse in the nation? Not much for the solid competitors who can just as
easily rack up miles doing 50's every week if they want mileage awards.

As for why riders only do so many 100's. Good grief! What's so low about
9 100's?  I started endurance in 1987. It took me until 1992 to find a
100 mile horse. It took me until 1997? (I think) to get him to the point
of doing a 100. Then I did what I could do. His 100 mile career lasted
about 5 years. I went to the ones we could go to. You know, crap happens.
Shoes come off and you mess up a foot getting back to the
trailer...sisters get married on ride dates...stuff! I'm sold on 100
milers, but it took a couple more years for me to give up on bringing
Kaboot back for them, then a year to find a horse, and at *best* it will
take a couple more before he can consider a 100 *if* he turns out to be a
100 mile horse. The years fly by when you only own one horse at a time,
but guess what? The sport is called ENDURANCE and it teaches PATIENCE and
almost all the people who have been out here a while have a long term
plan and we're not rushing so the cycle of repeat competitors takes a lot
longer than 1995-2004 to show trends. Looking at those numbers it will
look like I gave up 100's 3 years ago. WRONG.

As for management. I don't know any managers who are in this for a
profit. As far as the groups I've managed rides for, the goal was to keep
the entry fee reasonable, provide as many amenities as we could without
losing money. Then when we made money we donated most of  it to a
charity, and kept a bit of seed money for next year. So...why does it
matter to me whether I have 7 100's or 15? Staying up all night? Heck,
the manager's up all night anyway, having a 100 means you've got people
to hang around the fire with! The only reason we quit having a 100 when
we moved the ride from Tellico to Chatt & Longstreet was that the trail
wasn't there. I have actually made calls around at some areas I thought
might support one. I'd love to manage another 100 now that I've got a
little bit of a clue.

P.S. I have an article to TB 3 days overdue and if you don't quit making
me write rebuttals I'll *never* get it done! :-)

Angie