Re: [RC] sleeping in a gooseneck - Lynne Glazer

I have a 1991 Sundowner 4 horse GN that I bought used in 1996, I think. It was handy having such a big trailer in the early years, as friends who were trailerless would come along. I do like using the first stall as the hay storage room and inclement weather rec/dining room. And for showers when the weather is nice enough. Had the floor epoxied after repairing the damage from the first owner's reluctance to pull mats.

Anyway, the gooseneck is very comfortable for two to sleep, but not to simultaneously dress. Nice to have something for insulation under the bed, which I've never gotten around to doing. It came with an innerspring mattress, if I was buying new it would be one of the daysend.org foam ones. I use a cheap Kelty sleeping bag most of the time, with a 0 degree down bag nearby to stuff inside for during those really cold nights, and a quilted nylon sleeping bag liner from campmor.com for the hot ones, to use by itself.

My bed is a double; there's room for a queen. There will be condensation on the ceiling in the morning, but it hasn't been an issue. When some friends sold their Sundowner to get a LQ, I inherited their shelving system and bench, all covered with indoor/outdoor carpet. My dressing room is longer than theirs was, so there's room next to it for the lawn chairs, picnic table. The shelving unit holds the portable heater, stove, camping sink, kitchen box. The bench open-front box/step holds vet boxes and cooler/anti sweat sheet. The saddle racks are inside to the left of the door, behind it are a rollup table, EZ Up shelter, Jiffy Jack and a two man tent for guests. Bridle hooks and a blanket bar which holds 3 blankets are against the horse wall.

So to take off, all I need to do is throw the cooler in there and fill the porta pottie. Fill the horse water 55 gal drum that fits in a rack in the truck's bed. Stow the feed and of course carrots. The rear room is where I stack buckets and feed containers, if I had a stud divider I'd probably would collapse the room--it has no saddle racks, just hooks, so I can't call it a tack room. It's so easy to camp this way--roll in, set up the portable corral usually free-standing. Living area almost ready to go as is, that is the BEST part.

It's been pouring continuously here since 4:30--raining all day, but flood-stage level stuff since 4:30. Had to move Ember in with Twix at that point, her pen was so flooded. At least an inch per hour. Giving me lots of time to type about my trailer. :-P At least this one is a "warm" storm. On with the snowboarding pants and jacket to give them some alfalfa as a keep-the-fires-burning treat. If it rains through Tues as predicted, it will set a record for continuous rain days.

Lynne