Re: [RC] Helmets-Yellow - Sisu West Ranch

"...well fiberglass I know, but same difference).  ..."

Not really.  Fiberglass cars, boats etc. Are made from resin that chemically reacts (called cross linking) to make it hard strong and not soluble in most solvents.  Helmets are made from a thermoplastic (meaning that it gets soft and moldable when heated) shell with a styrofoam inside.

The Thermo plastic, depending on its exact nature, will dissolve in some solvents.  If the solvent in the paint does not soften and/or dissolve the shell the paint most likely will not adhere very well.  A helmet with pealing paint would not be very attractive.

The styrofoam part of the helmet will dissolve or soften in most all solvents.  The helmet manufacturers carefully test to make sure it crushes at exactly the right rate to protect your head.  They, for obvious reasons, can not guarantee a helmet with partly dissolved foam.

My bottom line: Go with a cover.  Fabric is available in whatever color or disign you can imagine.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875