Re: [RC] Treeless Saddles - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gail Lawson" <glawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Gail, you had a great post....

 I then purchased an Ansur Treeless and was told that no air
channel was required.  I tried it and did not like the way it rested
directly on the withers,

Gail, I observed this also years ago and it was one of the things I did not
like.
A lot of saddle manufacturers make claims like this that may have no studies
or
science to back it up....it's also interesting that in the past 8 years ago
that Ansur
has been  around; we are not hearing many claims from folks doing a lot of
endurance
miles on them......if anyone can refute this, please do!!! They originally
had an "endurance model" called the Safari,and a trail model called the
Lewis and Clark, both have been discontuined.
Ansur now has a model called the Carlton, which does have separate panels
sections
underneath that do give a bit of a gullet.

 I have gone back to a treed saddle with a very
wide gullett that gives a whole lot of spine clearance.

Would love to know what specific treed saddle you went to, after Sport
Saddles....

The spine is a
very delicate  part of the body and problems in this part of the body
are very difficult to deal with.  If the back is abused by hard riding,
ill fitting saddles of any type, hundreds of miles of competitive or
endurance riding, the spine begins to have problems, the back becomes
sore, just as our backs become sore with overuse.

This is extremely good advice.

A lot depends on the
I would suggest you find a copy of Joyce Harman's book "The Pain
Free Back and Saddle Fit Book."  Lots of good information to think about
before you make a costly purchase.

I was actually a bit disappointed in the book; I didnt' feel it had much
information
that wasn't; already available, but in any case, should probably be required
reading
for anyone that invests in English saddles; it only adressses fitting issues
with English
Saddles, so may not be that relevant for endurance riders.  I also felt the
very small
portion that discussed treeless saddles and Flexible panel saddle such as
Orthoflex and
Reactor Panel needed to be updated.

Gail Lawson, Belmont, NH