[RC] Treeless Saddles - Gail Lawson

Hello Patsy:

There are conflicting schools of thought on this. I used a Bob Marshall Treeless with a Skito Pad for 8 years on a short-backed Arab. The Skito Pad provided an open space down the spine so the saddle did not rest on the spine and also provided an air channel--very important in distance riding. I then purchased an Ansur Treeless and was told that no air channel was required. I tried it and did not like the way it rested directly on the withers, it slipped back, and slipped from side to side. I tried a Skito with the Ansur and with my horse it would not work. I sold the Ansur. I have gone back to a treed saddle with a very wide gullett that gives a whole lot of spine clearance. The spine is a very delicate part of the body and problems in this part of the body are very difficult to deal with. If the back is abused by hard riding, ill fitting saddles of any type, hundreds of miles of competitive or endurance riding, the spine begins to have problems, the back becomes sore, just as our backs become sore with overuse. A lot depends on the shape of the horse, how the horse is used, how heavy the load is, how well the saddle fits, how balanced and supple the ridder is, etc. And you have to think about it, make decisions, and watch to see how it is working. If it isn't working for your horse and you, try something else. I would suggest you find a copy of Joyce Harman's book "The Pain Free Back and Saddle Fit Book." Lots of good information to think about before you make a costly purchase.

Gail Lawson, Belmont, NH

Patsy Davis wrote:

Is there any problem caused by the treeless saddle sitting right down on the spine of the horse? With a tree, the pressure is raised off the spine, right? So why is it not a problem (heat, pressure, etc) when you are sitting directly on the spine? Just trying to understand before I jump off and buy something that I don't understand. They must work or there wouldn't be such a demand for them.

Thanks, Patsy