RE: [RC] Revolution - Age requirements for competition - heidi

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of KimFue@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 1:07 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Revolution - Age requirements for competition
Well, starting in 2006 every 7 year old that trys or wants to compete at
a PAC or WEC or other championship level FEI ride will need to have
finished a 100 in 13.20 hours.   >>

This, imo, is a bad new rule. We (the US) have lobbied hard against it,
because it doesn't make sense when applied to our rides, in difficult or
mountainous terrain. I'm headed to Malaysia (!!!!!!) next week to ride,
and they are also concerned about the new COC rule - it's just about
impossible to do a 13:20 ride in the tropics. Kim - I totally agree with
you, and this is the first major deviation between AERC and FEI rules
that I'm aware of. It only applies to Championship level ride
qualifications, but still - it does not make sense to make this blanket
rule apply to all rides, in all Nations.

The best approach to the CoC, IMO, was when it also contained a clause
that allowed horses to earn one if they were within a certain percentage
of the winning time.  It SHOULD be a combination of options--the current
one is a good option when the course is flat and fast, and the winners are
running sub-9 100s.  But on slower courses (be it due to terrain, or to
humidity as is the case in Malaysia, etc.), the option of earning a CoC if
one can finish in the winning time plus, say, 20%, one can do it on rides
with Tevis terrain or poor weather conditions.  With such an option, let's
say we have a ride that is WON in 13 hours.  If that is the case, with the
20% option, any horse that could finish it in 15:36 or less could earn a
CoC.  By having BOTH options in place, a horse need not run itself into
the ground on a flat course to be within 20% of a 7-hour winner, but
neither does it need to run itself into the ground to beat the clock under
conditions that are not conducive to fast times.  And in both cases, the
horse has demonstrated a level of capability beyond simply finishing
within the 24-hour elapsed maximum time.

Heidi