[RC] re: Red Hills ride - Cindy Collins

Drin:  Was a good one to miss!  The trail was the best marked EVER and the
ribs and potatoes on Friday night were as great as ever.  We had a great
turn out...15 in the 50 miler and 11 in the 25 miler.  (for those of you
from other places, those are great numbers for the middle of nowhere in
Wyoming for an early ride)  BUT, about 10:30-11:00 it started to rain.
About 12:30 it began to rain hard.  For those few privileged persons out
there who have ever ridden on wet bentonite, you know the rest of the
story.  It becomes a slippery, sticky mess.  You can't hardly stand up on
it to even walk your horse...the horse's feet are sliding four different
directions.  The front/middle of the pack folks managed to get through,
though the middle pack's last 10 miles were not fun.  For those of us in
the back of the pack, it just wasn't worth it.  Dorothy Sue Phillips and I
both quit and neither of us do that lightly. So, I had a very expensive,
muddy 35 mile training ride!   I was on my young gelding though and this
isn't what I wanted to do to him.  He lost his mind at the start, so I
waited for everyone to get out of sight.  Just walked him along for the
first 1.5 miles.  Then, he was great.  Dorothy Sue was up toward the
front, but a friend of hers parted ways with her horse and Dorothy Sue
stayed with the friend until she could get a ride in to camp.  That put
Dorothy Sue way back.  I'll spare you all the details of our trials and
tribulations, but that's basically what happened.  I think that Doris
Roesch won the 50, but not positive.  Cindy Wagner was the last 50 miler
out on the trail when I left and I have a call in to her to see if she
made it OK, but no word, yet.  I think some other folks quit, too, but it
was raining so hard that there wasn't much talk going on and I'm not sure
what the final tally was.  If I hear more details, I email them.  It was
no one's fault that the weather went to **** and I'll be back there in two
weeks for the Dorsey Creek 50.  Just pray for blue skies.   Thanks for
asking Drin.  Hope to see you on the trail soon.  Cindy