[RC] One Rein Stop - Amy Anglin

OK, Got it.  I do this stop  - both the turn in the circle and the one rein stop, but the one rein usually only on young horses in training, starting on the ground, before starting them trotting and cantering with a rider in the saddle.  Didn't have a term for it, though.  As I explained to someone else, my father grew up in appalachia as a mule-skinner, farming and logging timber with mules daily, so there was no terminology or book learning involved in his teaching, just learning by doing, as his father taught him.

 However, about the one rein stop, I really agree that it does not work for all horses, and sometimes it can even be dangerous to use if your horse is travelling quickly on the forehand.  I once had a colt fall over sideways on top of me when I used it in beginning training for the canter, and I was lucky enough to be fallen on in soft dirt that gave way so there was room for my leg under the colt. I wasn't injured at all, nor was the colt. Training in a soft place is a good idea if you want your mistakes to be forgiven.  I know of a race trainer who did the same thing with one of his colts and lives on painkillers now because the colt came down on him on a rock.

My friend who explained "doubling," did so in response to my explanations of the patience and faith involved in getting my tall ex-racer TB  to stop when out on a gallop on the trail.  I was explaining the forethought and caution required in the whole process, from knowing where and when to start to the gallop, to being sure I knew the whole trail, and who might or might not come galloping up behind us on the trail, and also knew I would be able to stop or be slowed to a trot for some time before we came to a road crossing.

I believe she believed lateral flexion with the one rein stop would be the answer to my TB ex-racer stopping issues, but I would neither be inclined to try it, or suggest it to anyone for a strong big strided horse going fast on the forehand.  That would be just about the most dangerous thing I could imagine anyone doing. (Other than galloping on the trail in the first place.)   There is a reason why they give racehorses a whole track lap to slow down in after a race.  It isn't wrong for them to stop slowly, it's necessary.

So, use these techniques with caution, assessing your personal horse and speed situation before use - along with the terrain - if you are going to use it.

Cheers,

Amy

Get the NEW version of MSN Messenger - it's FREE! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=