Re: [RC] Draw Reins - Opal Perry

I agree with you that on a hotwalker they are worthless.  When I use them while longeing, I put the top loop over the cantle of my saddle, so the horse still has "give".  Sometimes I will put them on (or side reins, depending on what I am trying to accomplish) and will turn the horse loose in the indoor while I clean stalls or whatever (always within hearing distance).  My current horse was trained that way, and he is awesome, balanced and light in the mouth.  I don't do this all the time, nor do I think that every horse benefits from it.  BUT, I do think that draw reins used CORRECTLY as an aid, not as a gimmick, are a worthwhile tool, just as spurs or a whip are.  I used the term "tying off" because I couldn't think of a proper term for what I do with them.. sorry for the confusion.  Ask anyone that has seen my horse.. lol  He is definitely NOT behind the bit..

Opal

Katrina O'Neal <recklessheartranch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Then you should tell those people that what they are doing is not only
worthless, but counterproductive.

It isn't my opinion, but a statement of fact that to get a horse to
come forward to the bit, it must be driven from behind by either the
leg (a person on their back) or lunging. A hotwalker does neither, it
just pulls. And it pulls on the head, so that's even worse. Plus any
hotwalker I've ever seen raises the head somewhat, so that mean three
strikes ~ you're out!

I cannot imagine one thing this method does that helps the horse learn
anything. And tying off draw reins? Whether you are "for or against"
drawreins, the fact remains they are designed to be a fluid tool, not
static. In other words, the horse gets *immediate* relief from the
slightest pressure. If you don't have some intelligent hands they can
do all kinds of damage. So one can only imagine what no hands can do.

Katrina