Re: [RC] bitting question - Jeannie Gillen

Anyone using a french snaffle?
----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Paus
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] bitting question

Nikki, I have a very nice horse who is very soured on snaffle bits because of a thoughtless previous owner who started him in a very ill fitted TT. when I got Zab, he'd back up 300 feet to keep from getting a bit in his mouth.

I tried dozens of very nice mild snaffles on him and everything would make him upset and nervous. He had worry wrinkles on his forehead and a clenched jaw. finally, I figured out that he hates jointed bits. they are too busy in his mouth. I put a low ported kimberwicke on him and he dropped his head, and relaxed.  After 3 years, i tried a snaffle again and got the same reaction I did when he first came here.

I've said it before, I wish I could collect all the Tt bits out there and melt them down and make them into something useful.

chris

Nikki McCormack <neyska@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a younger horse that was being ridden by the previous owner with a
Tom Thumb snaffle. I don't think the owner had the necessary skill to use
this bit correctly and as a result, he does not like to be bitted. I am
trying to work with him with a lighter bit, but the only thing I have is a
D-ring snaffle. He is a getting easier to bit since this change, but his
brakes don't work very well.

If anyone has suggestions on transitioning a horse successfully to a lighter
bit or perhaps a different type of bit that might work better, please
contact me privately: neyska at hotmail dot com.

Thank you!
Nikki (Cody and Tango, the new kid).