Re: [RC] Ponds/tanks and things..OT - Karen L.

Suzi,

Watersheds, springfed ponds, creeks, streams and wetlands are regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency (see links below).  They may also be regulated by state and local laws.  You would be well advised to consult and environmental attorney in your area before making ANY changes to the pond, creek or wetlands.  Depending upon the regulations, if you make changes, you may have to put it all back the way it was before the changes have been made.  I had an environmental law class in law school in 1989, so I don't remember enough to advise you, but I remember enough to urge you to consult an attorney before you make any changes.

Wetlands, Oceans, & Watersheds:  http://www.epa.gov/owow/

Karen

Suzi Maiorisi <stlst@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm looking at a 10 ac. property nearby that has spring fed....ponds on it- the hesitation there is that they are completely covered in cattails.  I love the idea that even in a drought Holly would have perpetual water, but it would be nice if I could clean it up.  So, my questions are 1. Is there a way to get rid of the cattails without harming anything living in it 2.  Can the pond be dug out to make it a little deeper without ruining the spring fed thing?  Does the water just ooze out of somewhere to create it or is it an opening in the ground?  The flow is fairly slow, but it is there.
3. There is a creek that goes through the back of the property that leads to a sort of 'wetland' thing.  Is it possible to define the creek a little better, obviously I'll be cleaning it up as it's fairly overgrown, and maybe fill in the wetland thing a little or create another pond type thing?
Thanks,
Suzi and Holly who thinks she might like her new digs