[RC] books, horses, and kids - larry Miller

I was about 10 when I started rereading the horse books in the children's part of the library.  I was sent upstairs to the adult part and there I found Zane Grey.  I was hooked.  I use to put a book in my bike basket and read on my way to the piano lesson.  When I hit a car and scared the driver half to death, I quit that!!  I was 11 almost 12 when my parents foolishly got me my first horse.  I believe the deal was that if I could find a place to keep the horse, they would get me one.  It took me 15 min and the horse came home the next week.  I believe my little mare was part arab and she was the best horse for a first horse that could have been.  My parents had no clue!  That mare took me everywhere, thru everything, and the only time she had a fit was when I hitched her up to the antique buggy that had a broken shaft.  She roared down the incline with me and friend diving out and thru the gate which the buggy hit and then landed upside down with the wheels spinning.  It was an awesome wreck.  I quickly put the buggy away but my folks still got a phone call that night to state that I should leave that antique buggy alone!!  I should state that the farm where I kept my horse was on the Underground RR system so it was a pretty old buggy.  Now I am wiser, more sedate, and don't get into as much trouble!  And those who know me will laugh.  Jeanie