[RC] Starving Horses, need help - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Paula Juergens cowlitztractor@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,
I'm back once again. I went and picked up 6 horses today from Skamania County.
For those of you outside of the region it's in Southwestern Washington, Right
along the Columbia River, From there you are about straight across from Mt Hood
in Oregon, and for most folks, Mt Hoods about the only thing people can see
since the whole area is thick mossy rain forest.
Anyway. enough geography lessons. The horses I picked up were a friends, He
temporarily lost them while getting a divorce from his common law wife.She
suddenly kicked him out one day, tossed a restraining order at him, and moved
right in with the landlord next door.
Repeatedly several of us have voiced ALOT of concern for the horses well being
and environment. For good reason. The woman that is holding them I'd always
considered an acquaintance in good standing, but never quite as much of a
friend as her counter part. He's 24 years older then me and has 30 more years
in horses, so I look to him as a mentor of sorts, for advice at times (and he's
a heck of a good farrier). Anyway, She has at least 16 horses up there, no job,
she's being prosecuted now for L&I fraud,Food Stamp Fraud, welfare fraud, back
child support, so on and so forth to name a few. She has 2 past felony
convictions for animal abuse and neglect.
So now, none of us have any idea how she intends to feed them,,,obviously by
the ones we picked up today, she hasn't. This has been voiced dozens of times
to the judges, county commissioners, Animal control(long story here), the
police, and any other person of any power or sway, that would listen. Everybody
but animal control is powerless, and with out animal control blowing the
horn,,, nobody can or will do anything. The animal control agent is one of her
good friends and rumored to have been in the sack with this womans now
boyfriend & landlord who as of last week had been the Chief of Police but was
fired,,for more compalints then you can shake a stick at. So now niether of
them have money to feed the at least 16 horses she has left up there,,, most of
which are pregnant mares, bred to foal in September and October when the rains
start,, this is all happening on 2 acres and with no barn, no feed, and no jobs
between them, and no-one interested in advocating for these horses to get them
out before they starve even more and drop starving foals in the rain! The
geldings, 1 mare and 2 stallions we picked up today are skin and bones, and
they are the easy keepers of the bunch. cakes of mud and manure shedding off in
dingle berries, Hooves in various conditions from badly broken and cracked to
needing a size 4 shoe,, and not a one weighing over 600 lbs, even at 15'2 hands
and being foundation appy....
I was in absolute shock and set into tears at seeing these immaciated horses
trying to reach through the electric wire of the make shift pick up pen for a
nibble of anything!They are so weak I had to just crawl down the winding roads
in hopes they could stay standing in the trailer long enough to make it home.
Jim has offered to just pay the feed store to deliver the hay and just give it
to her to feed, Unfortunately it is concidered third party contact,and illegal
to the restaining order and he would be thrown in jail for it. So still these
pregnant mares will starve. Most of them are in the 16-22 year old range and
are retired dude string horses that were just supposed to retire as they had
put in their years! This is wrong, cruel, and God help me,,, this has got to be
illegal. I need to know how to go above the local animal control agent to get
them help. Some body else has got to care! These horses have a good home with
32 acres of grass and a guy who loves them, but this gal is nuts and doing this
just to hurt the person they rightfully belong to. He's not perfect, but he's
an ok human being that has always taken better care of his horses then he will
himself when things get tight, His horses always eat first, and never junk. Who
do I contact to get a search order to get the legal system to advocate for
those horses? PLEASE>>> PLEASE PLEASE these horses need help in a not so
helpful legal system.