From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ridecamp Guest
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 1:25 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Starving Horses, need help

Please Reply to: Paula Juergens cowlitztractor@xxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,
I'm back once again. I went and picked up 6 horses today from Skamania
County. For those of you outside of the region it's in Southwestern
Washington, Right along the Columbia River, From there you are about
straight across from Mt Hood in Oregon, and for most folks, Mt Hoods
about the only thing people can see since the whole area is thick mossy
rain forest.
Anyway. enough geography lessons. The horses I picked up were a friends,
He temporarily lost them while getting a divorce from his common law
wife.She suddenly kicked him out one day, tossed a restraining order at
him, and moved right in with the landlord next door.
Repeatedly several of us have voiced ALOT of concern for the horses
well being and environment. For good reason. The woman that is holding
them I'd always considered an acquaintance in good standing, but never
quite as much of a friend as her counter part. He's 24 years older then
me and has 30 more years in horses, so I look to him as a mentor of
sorts, for advice at times (and he's a heck of a good farrier). Anyway,
She has at least 16 horses up there, no job, she's being prosecuted now
for L&I fraud,Food Stamp Fraud, welfare fraud, back child support, so on
and so forth to name a few. She has 2 past felony convictions for animal
abuse and neglect.
So now, none of us have any idea how she intends to feed
them,,,obviously by the ones we picked up today, she hasn't. This has
been voiced dozens of times to the judges, county commissioners, Animal
control(long story here), the police, and any other person of any power
or sway, that would listen. Everybody but animal control is powerless,
and with out animal control blowing the horn,,, nobody can or will do
anything. The animal control agent is one of her good friends and
rumored to have been in the sack with this womans now boyfriend &
landlord who as of last week had been the Chief of Police but was
fired,,for more compalints then you can shake a stick at. So now niether
of them have money to feed the at least 16 horses she has left up
there,,, most of which are pregnant mares, bred to foal in September and
October when the rains start,, this is all happening on 2 acres and with
no barn, no feed, and no jobs between them, and no-one interested in
advocating for these horses to get them out before they starve even more
and drop starving foals in the rain! The geldings, 1 mare and 2
stallions we picked up today are skin and bones, and they are the easy
keepers of the bunch. cakes of mud and manure shedding off in dingle
berries, Hooves in various conditions from badly broken and cracked to
needing a size 4 shoe,, and not a one weighing over 600 lbs, even at
15'2 hands and being foundation appy....
I was in absolute shock and set into tears at seeing these immaciated
horses trying to reach through the electric wire of the make shift pick
up pen for a nibble of anything!They are so weak I had to just crawl
down the winding roads in hopes they could stay standing in the trailer
long enough to make it home. Jim has offered to just pay the feed store
to deliver the hay and just give it to her to feed, Unfortunately it is
concidered third party contact,and illegal to the restaining order and
he would be thrown in jail for it. So still these pregnant mares will
starve. Most of them are in the 16-22 year old range and are retired
dude string horses that were just supposed to retire as they had put in
their years! This is wrong, cruel, and God help me,,, this has got to be
illegal. I need to know how to go above the local animal control agent
to get them help. Some body else has got to care! These horses have a
good home with 32 acres of grass and a guy who loves them, but this gal
is nuts and doing this just to hurt the person they rightfully belong
to. He's not perfect, but he's an ok human being that has always taken
better care of his horses then he will himself when things get tight,
His horses always eat first, and never junk. Who do I contact to get a
search order to get the legal system to advocate for those horses?
PLEASE>>> PLEASE PLEASE these horses need help in a not so helpful legal
system.