[RC] flicka film remake - Carol Suggs

remembering old movies and childrens books was on the post today...but did anyone hear about this..unfortunately another one of our equine friends earned their "wings" on Monday:

Reuters
By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - A mustang horse broke its neck and died during filming of the 20th Century Fox movie "Flicka," a remake of 1943 classic "My Friend Flicka."

The horse was killed Monday during filming at the Hansen Dam Equestrian Center in the San Fernando Valley.

According to the City of Los Angeles' Department of Animal Services, which conducted an investigation, the horse was running when it stepped on its own lead rope and broke its neck. Animal Services is ruling the death an accident.

Animal Services spokeswoman Karen Knipscheer said that production was not shut down at the time of the accident, and filming resumed Tuesday. She said the production was informed that it could no longer use the horses involved in the incident, which were domestic rodeo horses. Knipscheer said their owner was shipping them home to Montana.

"We are terribly saddened by the events that occurred yesterday," Fox said in a statement Tuesday. "The production has taken every possible precaution and safety measure in shooting scenes where horses are involved."

The American Humane Assn. had four monitors on the set of "Flicka" when the accident occurred Monday.

"This is a tragedy," AHA spokeswoman Sara Spaulding said. "As an organization, we feel terrible that this horse died."

The organization said it is investigating the incident, as well as taking other measures.

"Horses are particularly at high risk when there is intense action, so we're looking at adding another level of supervision and looking at stricter guidelines," Spaulding said.

Monday's accident marked the second time a horse was injured during filming on "Flicka." The AHA said a horse broke its leg in an accident two weeks ago. The break was so bad that the horse had to be euthanized.

Representatives for Fox and Animal Services said that they had no knowledge of the previous incident and could not comment