RE: [RC] [RC] stall walls - Laurie Durgin

hardware cloth is a metal mesh, roughly 1/4-1/2 welded squares--?--anyway. You can get it at Home depot etc. I folded it under so no sharp edges and nailed it down. They can't get their teeth into it. I put it on my dutch doors; and if we weren't moving this summer/fall I would be putting it on my inner Pt post on my barn as they are nibbling on those. The bitter apple works fairly well, if I spray it once or twice a year. My dividers in my barn are Plywood panels with 2X8 on top and bottom. But they are about 5 ft. tall, they can put their heads over and see each other etc., but I guess they are too high for comfortable chewing. I get more chewing on corners of the posts.And of course trees. I put dog wire cages around my trees. Tried the plastic meshes, though easy to install, it is also easier for them to move. The dog wire cages work best for the trees .Probably would work for the wood too, you just have to have lots of time to cut every strand........................
I have a 4 yr old who likes to make noises with his teeth, he plays with anything and tries to scrape it on walls or the ground to hear it sing. He likes hula hoops too, thinking about getting hims some bells to ring .............. :0)

From: "Betty Edgar" <betndez@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "RC" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]      stall walls
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:45:08 -0700

Thanks to all who responded to my question about stall walls. I got a
nice variety of suggestions, some of which I've already used and didn't
work. Like covering the walls with wire. The one horse manages to rip it
off. He's the one who also runs his teeth on metal, particularly the
hitching rail on the wash rack, or the trailer, all the metal gates have the
paint chewed off. Nothing is safe from that mouth!

Hardware cloth is new to me, what is it exactly and where do you get it. .
. a hardware store? :-)

  Has anyone ever used masonite in place of plywood?  Maybe it wouldn't
stand up to the teeth raking either.

  Betty
  NW Region