[RC] SMB's....Better Alternatives - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Paula Juergens cowlitztractor@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,
In preparation for my first ride a couple of months ago I found some leg wraps
that are micro fiber. Advertised as "Cool Wraps" I bought a set of 4 of them
for my Appy mare who doesn't always watch where she's putting her extremities,
IE nicking her legs on rocks, brush, sticker, bushes, etc. So these were meant
to not only provide support, but for injury protection and to help with
temperture regulation. I know people probably thought it funny looking me going
out there in a treeless barrel saddle on this stoutly made little Appy, with
pretty bright white wraps, (someone even commented). But the fact is is that
they worked. They were't white when I was done, but no other colors were
offered either. The theory behind them is that they use the sweat or water you
walk your horse into, to radiate heat as the horse moves it's legs through the
air. Being a mirco fiber they offer a fair amount of strech with out
deformation like cheap fleece wraps,So you can put them on snug enough to offer
support, but they do not retain heat like the heavier quality fleece wraps,and
are fairly soft so they don't rub or gall. And they really breath nicely. The
Appy mare had never done anything like this before,,, she's primarily a kids
gaming horse, but has been used for handicapped riders on my dude string way
back when. I was very impressed with the wraps and hope to get down to
Cullpeppers to buy at least one more set for back ups. I know they look a
little "Cowboyish" but form and function is really the name of the game in any
competitive equine sport. Sort of like all this negotiation about feet. Form
and function,,, and everyone has there own needs so no one way will ever be
correct or incorrect. There are as many ways to trim and shoe as there are
horses.
Ride Long and Prosper!
PS anyone know where to sign in for the non-guest, registered user posts?

Paula