RE: [RC] Blm adoption - Pat and Janett Van Nuland

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Katrina O'Neal
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 1:24 PM
To: Mary Bradford
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Blm adoption

Just my own opinion

But one of the reasons that adoptions INCREASED was because they
loosened the adoption requirements!

Yes, but you don't think it 's because people are learning and seeing them
as versatile horses who are intelligent and advertising has nothing to do
with it.

And there STILL aren't enough people adopting a mustang to find homes
for all the ones that need it.

But there aren't enough people for domestic horses either, or there wouldn't
be so many of them going to slaughter either

A "mustang" isn't a breed. With the exception of one or two herds,
virtually ALL the herds managed by BLM have had "improvement stock"
added. In addition, the herds are "managed" by humans who choose which
ones to remove from the breeding populations and which ones to leave.
Flashy color(s) are big sellers, so management tends to leave those
buckskins, pintos, pallies, duns, etc., even if they are not the
strongest, fastest, most athletic.

I think you need to do some more research. They do release horses of "plain"
color back into the herds, ONLY the strong survive.

 >>90% of "mustangs" are simply feral horses -- horses left to replicate
just like in the old days, when ranchers turned a stallion out with his
mares and came back the next year to gather up the colts ready to be
broke.

How do you think horses came about so many millions of years ago. There were
not people picking and choosing which ones lived or died nature took care of
that, just like it does allot today. If a group have not been gather in many
years the ones not strong enough, resistant to disease, faster, and smarter
don't make it, nature will take it course.

So  maybe the lesson here is NOT that mustangs are such a great breed,
but that ALL horses would benefit from being raised in such a natural
enviroment. As far as cost, I know areas differ in terms of the cost of
a horse, but in my area, you can get a good, "go-down-the-road", trail
horse, already started and often with papers for $1000-3000. One year
when hay prices were high, I bought a nice yearling Doc Bar grandson
(gelding) for $350! Finished ranch horses were going for $1000 or less
at the fall auctions. If you adopt a mustang for $600-800 and spend a
year training & feeding it, you can have that much into the animal.
More if you buy a younger horse.

I have owned domestic horses as well as my Mustang and she is so much
smarter then any of the other well bred "Doc Bar, Reynolds Wrap or Pico
Bueno papered horses I have had the privileged to own. And Yes, any horse
benefits from running around free growing up. They learn herd language,
where their feet are and basicly about life in general, as well as so much
more.

While I like to see the mustangs run free too, there are only so many
resources for "X" number of animals. Decisions have to be made. Not
everyone will be made happy. There are plenty of horses going to
slaughter right now who aren't mustangs. Life isn't always fair.

I have to agree with you here. As far as any horse goes we humans need to
just keep our selfishness in check (look at the PMU'S ,not to start
something new). There are more then enough horses of all kinds for all
people out there and some will end up euthanized no matter how much we may
or may not want. Life isn't fair!
Just another side to the conversation.

Janett & Siouxnika (a mustang)