Re: [RC] Blm adoption - Katrina O'Neal

But one of the reasons that adoptions INCREASED was because they loosened the adoption requirements!

And there STILL aren't enough people adopting a mustang to find homes for all the ones that need it.

A "mustang" isn't a breed. With the exception of one or two herds, virtually ALL the herds managed by BLM have had "improvement stock" added. In addition, the herds are "managed" by humans who choose which ones to remove from the breeding populations and which ones to leave. Flashy color(s) are big sellers, so management tends to leave those buckskins, pintos, pallies, duns, etc., even if they are not the strongest, fastest, most athletic.

90% of "mustangs" are simply feral horses -- horses left to replicate just like in the old days, when ranchers turned a stallion out with his mares and came back the next year to gather up the colts ready to be broke.

So maybe the lesson here is NOT that mustangs are such a great breed, but that ALL horses would benefit from being raised in such a natural enviroment. As far as cost, I know areas differ in terms of the cost of a horse, but in my area, you can get a good, "go-down-the-road", trail horse, already started and often with papers for $1000-3000. One year when hay prices were high, I bought a nice yearling Doc Bar grandson (gelding) for $350! Finished ranch horses were going for $1000 or less at the fall auctions. If you adopt a mustang for $600-800 and spend a year training & feeding it, you can have that much into the animal. More if you buy a younger horse.

While I like to see the mustangs run free too, there are only so many resources for "X" number of animals. Decisions have to be made. Not everyone will be made happy. There are plenty of horses going to slaughter right now who aren't mustangs. Life isn't always fair.

Katrina