Re: OT ...Re: [RC] If you are concerned about America's wild horses an... - Sisu West Ranch

"...Totally disagree with this, no facts to back this up, your opinion only...I have seen mustangs with faultless conformation, and domestic bred horses that can barely move. Give me a choice of a trained mustang to cover ground versis a halter QH? One only has to look at the horses Dr.Ottinger selects, or others such as Steens Vaquero to see great legs and conformaiton..."

The desirability of a BLM horse, and the price of the same is still limited by the existance of the halter QH.  Even more because various horse owners are looking for different things in their horses.  Lots of people want halter QH's that can waddle down a trail at 3 mph for a couple of hours a week, they would never adopt a BLM horse unless the BLM horse was their only choice.  Many of my friends only ride and pack mules.  Since there are no BLM mules, they will never adopt.  The list can go on and on.  If there were no BLM adoptions, there still would be adequate numbers of domestic horses to meet the demand.

You do make a good point about poorly conformed domestic horses.  I would like to see the irresponsible breeders of dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, horses, mules, rabbits, etc. stop, thus eliminating much suffering.

If you know of a good scientific study or proposal for a cost effective sterilization method suitable for use on free roaming horses, please forward a paper or electronic copy directly to me.  If I agree that it appears promising, I will forward it along with a letter to my Senator Burns and ask him to introduce legislation to fund a trial.

I will also post the particulars of my request on Ridecamp and with other organizations so we can generate national support.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875